16 June 2013

Reader Under The Spotlight - Chloe

"Hi! My name is Chloe, also known as Ninegrandstudent over on Wordpress. As you might have guessed from my blog title, I'm a first year university student, and am currently at the University of Kent studying Actuarial Science. Many people ask what that is - in short a mixture of maths, statistics, computing, economics, finance, and business.

I blog to get away from number crunching, and to satisfy my creative side. I discovered Filofax about a year ago, and love that it helps to fuel my obsession with being organised!

1. When did you buy your first Filofax and what was it?

I bought my vintage pink Personal Malden last August - it was a self-chosen gift from my parents as congratulations for my A-Level results. I had planned to get a Filofax before university, but someone else paying allowed me to let my heart choose, and I spent weeks researching, reading reviews, and stroking them in any stationary shop I could find!

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

It's unlikely to happen on a student-budget, but I do love Mulberry organisers, particularly the vintage ones. 

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

My Malden without doubt. I love the smell and feel of the leather, the personal size is perfect for everyday, and the colour is perfect. It's girly, without being bright, and just looks so sophisticated. It has the generic ring problems, and a faulty pen loop, but no way would I part with it!

4. How many Filofax organisers do you own?

I now own two - I recently obtained a black A5 original, which I'm looking forward to using. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't too heavy, and I like the inside design. I aim to get some vintage organisers into my collection at some point - sitting on Ebay is a good way to procrastinate from exam revision!

5. What is the oldest Filofax in your collection?

Again, my Malden at nearly 10 months old. I doubt I'll replace this as my main organiser ever!

6. What do you use your Filofax for?

I'm planning on making the A5 into a careers file - I start applying for year-long work placements soon, so will need somewhere to keep all application details together and to hand. I have to complete a log whilst on placement, so I will use the A5 for that too. My Malden contains my entire life! I use it as a diary/typical organiser and have two different types of weekly inserts and a year planner. I log my finances in it, create shopping lists, use it as a purse. Just about everything goes in!

7. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

The fact that each year, you just need to buy new inserts. I always hated the time of year when I'd get a new planner, as I never could find one ticking all the boxes. Now I have the perfect outside design, although I admit my diary setup needs a bit (a lot!) of tweaking. 

8. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

I'd love more designs in colours like the Vintage Pink - something girly but understated. I'd want to banish the ring problem (both of my organisers are affected), have no pen loops, and have more planners that lie flat. Both of mine lay flat straight away, but I wouldn't be able to cope with one that didn't!

9. How do you carry your Filofax?

In a handbag. I'm a big fan of satchels, and generally I find a personal organiser (as long as it's not too full!) fits well in the front pocket on it's own. I have been known to just grab and carry my Filofax in my hand too, but I'm so clumsy I'm worried I'll drop it in a puddle!

10. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

I loved the Original when I first saw them, so I'm so grateful I have one! I'm pretty much in love with the Plum Personal Osterley - but no way can I afford one! If they are still available in 2016, it might have to be a graduation present to myself! If money was absolutely no object, I wouldn't hesitate in ordering a Temperley: The Affair. 

11. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax? Which model?

I haven't actually purchased one myself yet...they've both been gifts! 

12. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?

Use it! I've noticed that if I don't use my Malden for a while (like over the last few weeks, where exams have taken over my life) the leather starts to feel a bit dry. 
 
13. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

I love the advice that is offered, the inserts (one of which I believe might be the perfect set-up for me), and the links to all different Filofax blogs.

14. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

It fuels my Filofax love. I'd probably be happy with just the one without Philofaxy!

15. What was the last music track you downloaded or bought?

"I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz - a song that is hugely relevant to me at the moment, as I currently live 200 miles away from my other half. 

16.  Mark Darcy or Daniel Cleaver? 

Mark Darcy without doubt - "bad boys" like Daniel never attracted me!

Thank you Chloe for agreeing to go under our spotlight. I and I'm sure everyone else will wish you luck with the rest of your studies.  And as always if anyone else would like to be part of this feature then please contact philofaxy at gmail dot com

5 comments:


  1. Chloe it's so nice to meet you! But I have to say, how depressing that both of your Filofax binders have defective rings!

    This is so common, but according to Filofax they haven't received any more returns than in past years so to them it's not a problem. I think the vast majority of people don't send their defective binders back because it's so much trouble. But I hear all the time about gapping rings, it's obviously an epidemic!

    Anyway, enough of my ranting for now. Best of luck in your studies Chloe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 115 people - not all Philofaxy folk - have so far signed Kate's (aka The Perpetual Student) petition about faulty ring mechanisms.
      http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/filofaxs-faulty-ring-mechanisms-gaps/signatures.

      "The Original" is much heralded as "Made in Britain" (as indeed most of it is - by the Leather Satchel Company of Cheshire). However, I'm certain that the ring mechanisms used are the same ones that cause all the trouble - made by The World Wide Corporation (not made in Britain but in China!)

      Delete
  2. How interesting that you like Mark Darcy; has anyone in the series gone for Daniel Cleaver? Or are Filofax girls all good? Just wondering.....
    And thanks for sharing. I'd love an original (but only in Ox blood red patent with a satchel to match!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the comments and luck!

    Angel Jem - funny you should mention the Oxblood red patent satchel. I'm currently waiting for the postman to deliver mine (it SHOULD be here today, and I don't dare go and bath before it turns up!). I'm hoping it will complement both my Filofaxes well! I'm hoping they don't start producing the Original in all of the satchel colours offered as I WILL want a completely matching one. And tempting as it will be, I'm not able to justify 6 weeks of food shopping budget on a Filofax...

    http://ninegrandstudent.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete