20 March 2017

Red Winchester: take two - by Anita

I admit that sometimes I am a bit too keen to sell my binders...
After some recent editing, I'm feeling very content with my small collection of models that I've owned before:
  • Black personal Kensington - purchased and sold multiple times, then finally kindly given back to me as a gift
  • Vintage Mulberry agenda - sold my previous one as all my supplies are in personal Filofax size. However, my new one was cheaper overall, is in much better condition and I much prefer the pattern on the leather. I decided to purchase another as I do like the A6 paper size and Mulberry leather
  • Red Winchester - with hindsight, I was a bit silly to sell my previous one as I prefer the older models and love red binders. 
Whilst the wine Holborn is a fantastic binder, I did realise that the wonderful soft leather was maybe a little too soft for my liking. During a minor altercation with a hardback book in my bag, it came away with a small dent which made me question if it was right for me. Any binder that I own needs to be hard wearing as 1) they all get shoved into bags and 2) they will always be around books. I am therefore delighted that the lovely Holborn is now residing happily in Canada with Alan.  

Red Winchesters are harder to find than the other colours, so I was quite surprised to find one for sale in one of the Facebook selling groups! I was just about to leave the group as I don't have any others for sale and it just so happened that this particular one was showing at the top before I left. And it's lovely as I was able to purchase from the same wonderful seller that sold me my previous Winchester (thank you!). 

I feel very fortunate once again as this one was cheaper and the outside is such a bright colour. It's exactly what I was after for the darker winter months. I'm finding it hard to get the colour right in my photos to represent what it's like in the flesh, but the outside is what I'd call a bright lipstick red shade.



The inside is a little darker, even though it hasn't come out quite right again here. The previous owner had tucked the left hand ring protector back in and I'm finding that that this now means access to those pockets is much easier.


The outside has a lovely shine to it from being used. The Winchester leather is very sturdy and will definitely stand up to contact with any items in my bags.


I just plonked all the same contents in from my Kensington and my set up hasn't changed, but I've changed pens for a while as the Winchester's pen loop is much smaller. I may purchase an A5 Flex pen loop to cut down to size to accommodate my normal fountain pen.

This photo represents the colour much more closely inside

I do a question for you all though... Has anyone seen this on a Winchester before? It's almost like there is a darker pattern that makes me think of some type of animal print? The area that I've tried to focus on is the leather that's normally under a ring protector, so it looks the most pristine.


There is also evidence of the same areas of darker colour/pattern underneath where the strap normally sits and also on the pen loop. 


One suggestion that I've already had is that this is just accumulated dirt as it's a vintage item, but I suppose I'm curious to see if anyone has come across it before I break out the cleaning supplies?

10 comments:

  1. It is a great planner! I've been looking for a red Winchester for months and months. I'm still hoping...
    I think the darker patches come from the fact that on those areas where you can see them the leather is still newer than in other parts hence it has kept it's lines and wrinkles which are darker. On the places where you touch the planner the leather has flatteed which results in less structure and lines. Now the reason why the lines are darker may be due of dirt or simply of some dying. I can't tell. If you use a soft leather brush on it you will see if the dark parts come off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I love the classic Winchester design & it's great in a brighter colour too. I hope that you manage to find one soon. There don't seem to be as many for sale, but there have been some on eBay recently as well.

      Thanks, I'm going to give a gently clean & some TLC, so we shall see!

      Delete
  2. It is how the planner has originally been, before all the use. If you notice, the darker spots are at the areas where leather has not been wo-/manhandled. Sometimes the differences in hue also come when leather has dried out during years. I suggest cleaning and conditioning the wonderful new friend you have. You will see how the leather breathes a sigh of relief, you´ll also prolong its shelf life (use time).It is a gorgeous planner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will clean & condition, so I wonder if there will be much of a difference afterwards.

      Delete
  3. Seeing this one leaves me wondering how long it might be before you end up re-acquiring a matching red slimline Anita :-)
    I have a Winchester in brown which also has a stippled pattern to the leather all over. I don't think it was intended as an animal print, and seems more of a natural variation, but does make quite an attractive finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that red slimline would nicely match this one! I did love it, but I wasn't really using it. Nope, I'm done with slimlines as I'm pretty sure that I've sold three of them to Alan now...

      Delete
  4. The Holborn is adapting well to life in Canada!

    I just switched one of my course lecture notes into a Winchester 5/4. I'll probably post a picture in the FB group later today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad to hear that & I'm pleased that it went to such a good home :)

      Delete
  5. Anita, so glad you're enjoying this binder. I vote we all coin a new planner term called Anita red: happy, sassy, and full 'o fun! Enjoy!
    Also LOVE the tip for folding the pocket inside the planner. Absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend! The colour is just perfect for the winter months, even though I still love my Kensington. The previous seller had already tucked the ring protector in & once I'd removed it, I realised that it made such a difference for access.

      Delete