21 November 2013

There can be only one

After writing my post about using the A5 size, I had a good long hard think about what I want from my Filofax. I may have said it before, but I've really come to the conclusion that I only need one personal binder. No spares for holding inserts, or any waiting in reserve for when I fancy a change. I know this works for lots of people, but from experience it's just not for me. Surely that's all OK as I sold my crimson personal Malden and I'm completely satisfied with my beautiful Ascot? Well, not exactly... 

I admit I've been having some doubts about the Ascot. I went for a long weekend to Athens recently and it performed admirably as my wallet and travel documentation holder combo. However, one night I looked at it on the restaurant table and it just didn't feel like me, almost like it could belong to someone else. I shrugged the feeling off as it seemed silly, but the thought only came back with the idea that it would be my sole binder. I knew straightaway that if I only own one, it would need to be red in colour. 

The sale of my crimson Malden had been delayed and it was still tucked away safely in its packaging, waiting for its new owner's payday to come. On purpose, I hadn't looked at it since the sale was agreed, but I took it out of the box and knew what I was going to do. I hate going back on a promise, but I emailed the buyer to say that I was very sorry, but I had changed my mind. Luckily, she was very understanding.   

Hang on a minute, this looks familiar.


Hey, didn't you say you were returning to one of these before??


Yes, I did.
Looking back through my old emails, I got my first crimson Malden in May 2011 as a replacement for a faulty Classic. After some quite enjoyable detours with different models and sizes, I'm back for good, done, finito. 


14 comments:

  1. That is so funny....I have just decided to stay in my crimson personal Malden. Im still thinking about getting a A5 but for some time I will just use a A5 size notebook to see if I really need one, you know before spending that much money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's typical of us Filofaxers I think... I have wandered my way through an antique rose Finsbury, a tan Dakota, a crosshatched burgundy Winchester, a brown Kensington, an Orange Osterley, an Ochre Malden and now a zipped wine Holborn, all in personal size. I have found as you did, when I look at my Holborn sitting, wherever, it feels like me.

    The others are all still with me, but this is my one Filofax I use for everything. I have no inclination to cruise Ebay or other sites for another filofax. But hey, you never know what's around the corner on Adspot...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Crimson Malden has become a legendary organiser, sought after by lots of people now. Pity they never made an A5 version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I utterly agree with that. An A5 Crimson Malden would have been glorious. An A5 Malden in black would have been equally popular too I am sure. A strange decision by Filofax not to manufacture every Malden colour in every size, as I like to use an A5 plus a matching second Malden for my GTD folder. I have the match in an ochre Malden A5 and personal now.... but crimson A5 and crimson personal would have been my ideal combo!!!

      Delete
  4. And I thought that I was the only one in love with my crimson Malden.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you still have your Malden thanks for the update from yesterday. Great photos by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny, but I'm the odd one out here. I have a lovely new crimson personal malden sitting staring accusingly at me, but I just can't settle to use it. It's beautiful and perfect on paper, but whenever I move in I move straight back out. Still to find my 'one' I guess, although I'm having some success with an osterley/regency switch cycle to keep things fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel about a purple personal Malden I own. I waited so patiently to own it and then when it arrived I felt a sense of let down as it just didn't "speak" to me. I tried, really tried to love it (okay, I would have settled for like) but it just didn't happen. So, now she sits and waits for the day I might use her again, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. If she were the crimson it would be a totally different story..but I settled for purple since crimson was no longer available.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Shadow Wolf...if you ever decide to sell it please contact me at cherylbalmas@gmail.com. Last month I paid for a Crimson which I purchased from one of the FB groups. The seller changed their mind after I paid for it and waited a month for it claiming it was lost in the mail. In the meantime I lost out on 2 other Crimsons for sale. After a month the Crimson found its way back to original seller who contacted me and said they changed their mind. I did get refunded thankfully but...I am still gutted about it. All this after I agreed to return this same person's Ochre because they had seller's remorse. I was trying to be the nice guy and I ended up with no Ochre and no Crimson in the end. Woe is me. (I have since acquired an Ochre and an Aqua to soothe my wounded pride). Well, that is my tale of woe. If anyone does decide to part with Crimson, please keep me in mind...but only if you're sure you won't change our mind!!! :) :) :)

      My apologies if this is a duplicate posting. Am having issues with this website for some reason or it's me...but I posted previously and do not see it.

      Delete
  7. Sometimes I miss the olden days when my only Filo choice was what's now the Classic and a zipped Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this post -- I was on the verge of putting my crimson malden up for sale -- now I will take some more time to think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your kind comments!
    I agree with Steve & Butanben that I'm sure a crimson A5 Malden would've been a hit, & also the same for one in black.

    I just think the crimson Malden is a classic & will age wonderfully like all the other Maldens. Red is one of my favourite colours & I think the crimson is a perfect shade, neither too bright or too dark.

    I can also understand anyone who doesn't 'get them' as I feel that it's all about personal taste. I hate the idea of someone buying a filo as a present for me, unless they really know me very well! (Oh, an Apex, you shouldn't have...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roared with laughter at your Apex comment!! I know many do bond with the Apex and Dominoes, but I just cannot bond or fall in love with with an elastic strap on my Filofaxes. Weird I know, but that is me!!! I have one exception, a pink and mint pocket Mode... with thick elastic strap.. much better... used as a recipe Filo, so it is wipeable downable, and portable enough for supermarket shopping.Picked up for a bargain £3 at TK Maxx a few years back. xx

      Delete