18 September 2016

Guest Post - Lesser Known Filofax – Burlington - Alan

Alan has shared with us this great post about a model I was not familiar with. 

When I saw the name “Burlington” on the eBay listing, I assumed it was a mistake, as I had never heard of a Filofax with that model name.  However, once I looked at the pictures accompanying I was very intrigued.  What I saw was a smooth calf leather model with ring protectors, so I knew I had to bid, and as has happened (likely) too many times, I won.

What a lovely item!  Its rich calf leather had been gently worn to a velvety patina,



This is one of the USA made models from the late 1990s, like the Dorchester, Connaught, Epping, and Ascot. (Maybe I’m being a bit too conspiratorial, but that’s five models starting with the letters A, B, C, D, and E!)

The layout is amazing:  Two full length pockets on the inside front cover, two full length pockets on the inside back cover, plus a zip pocket on the back cover and eight card holder slots on the front cover, Each cover has a pen loop.


The Burlington appears in the 1998 and 1999 catalogs and originally sold for £168 in 1999, one of the pricier items in the Personal range, more than the Sandhurst (£89), Ascot (£105) and Devonshire (£157).  The colour range was described in the catalog as Raven Black and Teak Brown. A few months later, I won a well-used brown Burlington.


Thank you Alan. 

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely model! It doesn't surprise me that you've obtained one. Or even two. You have such a good eye for them. The pocket and card setup is amazing and the leather looks wonderful.
    I think you're on to something re their names following the alphabet. I didn't realise that until now. Interesting that they kept to their naming convention of towns but for ones that exist in the USA as well as UK.
    Well done on obtaining these 2 lovelies, I'm sure you'll have much enjoyment of using them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the alphabet theory gets thrown out the window - the sequencing is not correct.

      Delete
  2. This was a new one to me Alan. Thanks for the comprehensive write-up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely planner! That's a great find! The pocket set up is exactly the same as my ostrich FF except the ostrich has rings protectors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely planner! That's a great find! The pocket set up is exactly the same as my ostrich FF except the ostrich has rings protectors.

    ReplyDelete